TIL, 2018-06-26, Reaction to Chamath Day
- Reaction to Chamath
- When people scroll down, they pick the first comment that sounds good for them, and adopt that as their own opinion. People are unable to think for themselves.
- Just say “I don’t know” if you don’t know things. Not having an opinion about something is okay.
- Karma in Reddit plays a role in how conversations are ordered and shown.S
- Reddit vs Facebook: access to communities that share my interests via subreddits. Facebook: gratification, not community building. Ex: beekeeping is not a popular interest, but Reddit makes it possible to create a decently sized community.
- Facebook is worse than Reddit, because it consisted of friends, rather than strangers.
- Things that are consumer driven are short term in nature today.
- Like all tech, social media comes with both challenges and potential benefits.
Values Reference People on the Growth team: Very high IQ Strong sense of purpose Relentless focus on success Aggressive and...