TIL, 2018-06-17, Resting/Reading about Tech
Why are so many people afraid of technology? Is this fear a good thing?
- The uninformed or the uneducated can run from the whirlwinds of technology.
- Tech is superior to people. Ex: calculating change in a McDonalds when the power is out.
- Fearing progress, automation. They are also scared that the things can be broken. Insecurity.
- Each tech advance brings both blessings and curses.
- Rethinking GPS: Engineering Next-Gen Location at Uber
- GPS is inaccurate (50m or more) in densely populated and highly built-up urban areas.
- GPS: a network of more than 30 satellites operated by the US government.
- GLONASS: Russian satellites.
- Why this sucks in urban environments: buildings often block the lines of sight to satellites, so the receiver processes signals corresponding to strong reflections off of other buildings.
- We use a likelihood surface/heat map from probabilistic shadow matching to figure out information from satellite SNR measurements.
How do you Manage Your Manager? Reference Build a relationship of trust. If you have a problem, you come to...
- [Millennials decision making](https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/About-Deloitte/gx-millenial-survey-2016-exec-summary.pdf) - Based on: Personal values/morals, impact on clients/customers, personal goals/ambitions, being true to the organization's values/overall...