TIL, 2018-04-24, Designing Very Large JS Applications
- Above “I know how to solve problems”: “I know how I would solve a problem and so I could teach someone else to do it.”
- Avoid central configuration.
- Add automated tests to make sure that requires make sense.
- Benefits of Chef over Docker?
- Variable images with chef databags and chef templates to generate docker images.
- Able to manage a node from the GUI.
- Chef configures your host stuff.
- Test-driven infrastructure with test-kitchen,
serverspec, and Vagrant.
- Packer script to install stuff that chef needs to run.
dockerregistryrecipe to set up a docker registry and installing Docker on each node.
- Chef cookbook to generate my base image.
- Cookbooks that generates images to do stuff.
Why We Hate Working for Big Companies
- We have free markets, but a corporation is usually more like an authoritarian state.
- When hiring managers: author didn’t want to be an employee, so why would others want to be an employee? There’s also a problem when there’s a separation between people doing the work and people who make the decisions.
- Free market: Central planning committees can never be as efficient or effective as people doing the work. (Markets do not have a manager to do this.)
- For things like China’s Great Leap Forward, a commission telling the farmers what to produce leads to not-so-good decisions because there’s a huge separation between the central planning committee and the farmer.
- The most important feature of free market economies is that each person within them is able to make independent decisions in their own best interest.
- For much of history: people did as many things as they can (re: turning labor into a product).
- Corporations nowadays: when you reach a certain company size, you’ll have a planning process, set out top-level goals, build plans, and get information from the front line to see where it needed tweaks.
- What they need is to have a system where the people doing the work knew the organization’s goals and plans.
- Leadership is about making decisions.
- The problem with a big company: the leadership is so far removed that it looks like a bureaucracy.
- I find it both ironic and painful that my inability to work for someone else resulted in my creating a company that involved a lot of smart, capable people working for someone else.
- How do you value most of the work people do?
- Things end up with a concentration of wealth anyway.
Musings, Front-end Weird caching thing with Github. Github uses Akamai CDN for caching and services. Also, no modifying of .htaccess....